Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Not Sheer Suffering

I'm on enforced light blogging while I struggle against some freelance deadlines. In the meantime, I want to recommend a blog written by a friend of mine. 

The author of Followed By Glory is not only one of the bravest women I know, but also a rare instance of a Christian truly striving to live her life in radical surrender to God's will. She illustrates Anne Morrow Lindbergh's axiom that "sheer suffering" is not a teacher, for "[if] suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness and the willingness to remain vulnerable."

In addition, she is someone I admire.


I will have more to say here in a couple of weeks if I make my deadlines. In the meantime, all my readers are in my prayers.

4 comments:

Kimberlie said...

I will pray for you and your writing during the next couple of weeks.

Pentimento said...

Thank you, Kimberlie. That means a lot to me.

In Need of Grace said...

Wow, Pentimento. I am truly touched by your words. Thank you!
And prayers for your writing. I am in the midst of research papers galore. Grrr.

Theresa said...

Your friend's looks like an interesting blog (translation: the tab will stay open while I try to do my work first). You and your family are still in my/our prayers but I will try to remember to add the writing deadlines specifically to them!

My once-favorite priest also made the point that suffering is an opportunity, not something that in itself makes us stronger or better. I think he said the same about (more easily recognized) "blessings." (Only calling him my once-favorite because the one who's put up with me in Confession for the last few years doesn't deserve to be "ranked" lower.)