Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Poem: Psalm

I loved this poem when I read it this morning and didn't want to wait until Friday to post it.
*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *
I am still on a rooftop in Brooklyn
on your holy day. The harbor is before me,
Governor's Island, the Verrazano Bridge
and the Narrows. I keep in my head
what Rabbi Nachman said about the world
being a narrow bridge and that the important thing
is not to be afraid. So on this day
I bless my mother and father, that they be
not fearful where they wander. And I
ask you to bless them and before you
close your Book of Life, your Sefer Hachayim,
remember that I always praised your world
and your splendor and that my tongue
tried to say your name on Court Street in Brooklyn.
Take me safely through the Narrows to the sea.
-- Harvey Shapiro, from A Momentary Glory, (c) Wesleyan Press, 2014.

2 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

So lovely. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hope all is well, that no news in good news?
Thought of you this evening when I found this clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3VZbtebAHc
googling today's saint of the day, Elizabeth of Hungary (my confirmation patron saint) ... she lived at the Wartburg during the historical events of the minnesanger legend Wagner based his opera on, the day of the encounter of the bards was 7-7-12-7, her birthday!

The spiral staircase of the stage production as metaphor of Divine Ascent/Assent guiding development of sacred and profane love is inspired IMHO - made a deep impression as I had been following talks on complementarity at the "Humanum" colloquim in Rome earlier [featuring with Rodin's works, another favorite of mine!]

Enjoy!