Thursday, November 1, 2012

Book News

I've been quiet here lately because of the big project that I mentioned a while back. That project was a book proposal, and the result (hoped-for, of course) has been that I've been offered a book contract, which is naturally an even bigger project. It's not the sort of book contract that some people maintain blogs in the hopes of landing (those people, of course, don't generally blog anonymously); it's a scholarly book on an obscure theoretical topic in music and cultural studies. It will be published in 2014 by a well-respected academic press, but it's extremely unlikely that I'll ever see any profits from it. In fact, I would be very surprised if, after its publication, more than a hundred people ever read my book, though I hope some scholars might find it useful.

Anyway, all this to say that I will be maintaining some kind of intermittent blogging routine over the next several months, since I will be working against a deadline, have a lot of research to do, and have limited windows of time in which to do it. There are lots of things I would like to write about here -- quietly, anonymously -- but for the most part I'll have to make use of my free time to work quietly and virtually anonymously on this other project.

Love to all in the meantime.

7 comments:

cnb said...

Congratulations, Pentimento! A book is a daunting prospect. I wish you the very best as you're working on it.

Sally Thomas said...

That is very impressive. And love to you, too.

(signed, un-anonymous but still-kind-of-quiet me)

Pentimento said...

Thank you, guys.

Darwin said...

Congratulations!

Anne-Marie said...

Congratulations!

My father and my husband have both written academic books, and you are right about the profits. Every year my husband gets a statement from the press that published his book, telling him that once the cumulative royalties reach $25.00, they'll send him a check. But every once in a while, he gets a note from someone thanking him for the content of the book.

Pentimento said...

Haha! Yes, the publisher sent me a form to fill out in case they wanted me to direct-deposit my royalties, which seemed slightly delusional to me. Actually, that should be "royalties," in quotes.

But thanks for the good wishes, Anne-Marie. And you too, Darwin.

Karen Edmisten said...

Congratulations! (she said quietly, and with only small royalties to her name.)