Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mercy Mercy Mercy


When I came to New York to deposit my dissertation last week, my first stop upon setting foot in the city was the Church of the Holy Innocents. My arrival coincided with the Hour of Divine Mercy, and I wanted to ask God for His particular guidance and mercy in the beautiful church that has been so important in my life. Holy Innocents has exposition all day long on weekdays, and so I was dismayed when I got there to find something that never happens: the church was closed. I was afraid that the parish had fallen victim to the Archdiocese's plans for realignment. I went to the rectory and leaned on the bell. No one came. Before walking away, I rang once more, and this time s young man answered, a parish volunteer who was there to work on a special project. I explained that I was visiting New York (how strange to say that!), and had wanted to pray in the church and say the Divine Mercy Chaplet. He told me that the church had closed early for Martin Luther King Day, but he let me in to say my devotions. It was a rare and mysterious privilege to be allowed to pray alone in silence in that holy spot, illuminated only by the candles lit by the faithful.

3 comments:

Sheila said...

Oh, I'm so glad you were able to go in! Your hope and perseverance were reawarded. As I believe they always are, but not always so clearly and so soon.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! If you're ever in the city and want to go to a beautiful Divine Mercy Chapel, check out St. Michael's on W. 34th between 9th & 10th (but call ahead, because the church is open at limited times).

I was at Holy Innocents for Mass yesterday and was thrilled that they still had their creche set up (presumably until Candlemas, the traditional end of the Christmas season).

Pentimento said...

I've never been in St. Michael's, but remember Dawn's mission to get the statue's hand repaired there.

I am so glad I got to go in. It was an amazing experience. Holy Innocents is holy ground, I'm convinced.