Thursday, February 9, 2012

Not Worthy


When I first began writing this blog, I had four readers, most of whom were related to me. I never anticipated that people I didn't know in real life would ever read it; nor did I desire such an outcome. But these things do end up happening, for good or ill.

The truth is that this is little bit of an anti-blog, at least in the sense in which we've come to read and understand blogs. I started it as a kind of online diary, and I'm not interested in getting a book contract out of it, or making money from it. I'm also not interested in acquiring or spreading any sort of influence through it. In fact, I'm not even interested in acquiring new readers; I'm very happy with the readers I have (or at least the ones whom I'm aware I have).

In the past few weeks, two excellent fellow-bloggers have been kind enough to nominate me for a couple of blogging-award type things. The "rules" of these awards, such as they are, would require me to post the award button on my blog, then award the same award to a set number of other bloggers under certain conditions. I hate to be a killjoy, but I probably won't get around to doing those things. I'm really busy right now, and the truth is that I read very few blogs these days, certainly not enough to meet the requirements for the awarding process. I gave up regular blog-reading last Lent, and I've pretty much stuck with that. Perhaps I'm missing a lot, but I have some pressing demands in the real world, and I know how easy it is for me to get lost in the virtual one.

So thank you to the esteemed colleagues who were kind enough to mention my blog in a favorable light. As for the award thing, if you want to know which blogs I love and highly recommend, just check out the sidebar. They are all excellent.

10 comments:

MrsDarwin said...

I love you for this post.

Pentimento said...

Love you back, Mrs. D. I'm glad you love me for it, too, since I thought I would come off as some sort of dreadful reverse-snob instead of the lame-o I really am.

maria horvath said...

Dear Pentimento,

That's the beauty of a gift -- it's yours to do with what you want to.

And you still deserve the award.

Pentimento said...

Thank you, Maria. : )

Kimberlie said...

Love your blog. Totally get you. Keep writing please.

Pentimento said...

@Madonnagormans, I accidentally deleted your comment, sorry! That's how lame I am. Anyway, thank you for it. What makes me happy is how invisible strangers here have become friends.

Rodak said...

Pentimento --

Your blog well worthy of a prize, but I completely understand your feelings on the matter. You are a joy to those of us who have been guided here by a will that wanted something good for us; in my case, something surely undeserved. Thank you.

Pentimento said...

Rodak, one of the only reasons I still write here is because of the true friendships I've made here, yours included. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is excellent. Keep writing. Life is difficult and most of us need help to get through. We need friends and a merciful God. Your blog emanates from a place of honesty and can offer comfort to fellow pilgrims wandering "this vale of tears."

Sean O

Pentimento said...

Thank you for your kind words, Sean.