Friday, May 14, 2010

There and Back, Part 11: Religion for Drugs

This entry in this blog's "There and Back" series is actually someone else's story:

It's significant that I started this 'blog very soon after my "reversion" (I'm starting to hate that word), when I was predisposed to think of it as the fruit of those same graces I liked to call (following God knows whose non-Catholic tradition) my "second Pentecost." It never crossed my mind that Sancta Sanctis might be a symptom of something else. Yet the fact is that inasmuch as this 'blog became a major expression of my Catholicism, my Catholicism became little more than a serious hobby, which is what all non-professional 'blogging is.

Now, the last truly serious hobby I had before this was my study of the occult. If I had known about 'blogging at that time, Sancta Sanctis might now be trying to live down an "Aquarian" older sister 'blog. Think of an addict substituting religion for drugs: I was like that, except that I substituted an intellectually rigorous religion for the mind games of the occult. Indeed, as long as I kept writing about my Catholicity and putting up an intellectual front, I could mask that truth about myself, from myself. Religion may not be the opiate of the masses, but it has some sedative properties where I am concerned.


-- Enbrethiliel, making a brief and provocative appearance on her mostly-now-defunct blog, Sancta SanctisRead her whole story here.

4 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

And do you know what yielded the best high of all? Playing the politics of self-righteous orthodoxy! I could have shot up all day . . . =P

Pentimento said...

Funny that you never did it in the comboxes of this blog!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I think I saved my ammo for bigger "game." ;-)

I still do, actually. My love of "target practice" is something that has been with me through all my permutations. This is why I now think that conversion doesn't essentially change anyone, though it does make one more open to grace than before--and that is if one is lucky.

Pentimento said...

Conversion certainly doesn't free us of our faults. Would that it did. But I think it does make us more willing to repent of them.