Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"There shall be no difference between them and the rest"

Happy Walt Whitman's birthday.

This is the meal equally set, this the meat for natural hunger,
It is for the wicked just the same as the righteous, I make
appointments with all,
I will not have a single person slighted or left away,
The kept-woman, sponger, thief, are hereby invited,
The heavy-lipp'd slave is invited, the venerealee is invited;
There shall be no difference between them and the rest.


(-- excerpt from Song of Myself)

4 comments:

Rodak said...

That's a beautiful excerpt. And it looks as though yours is one of the shrinking list of Blogger sights at which I can still commment...?
Attempted comments at several sites just keep throwing me back to a page demanding that I establish an account. Providing the info doesn't help--it just keeps happening. Bummer.

Pentimento said...

I wonder if it's because the bloggers on whose blogs you're trying to comment haven't set their settings so that everyone can comment. Or are these blogs you've been commenting on already? Blogger has been quirky lately.

Anonymous said...

He obviously informs your aesthetics. Without knowing his poetry well, I hear an echo of his voice when you write about NYC and art.

Pentimento said...

I'm entirely flattered by the comparison! WW certainly is at the top of my artistic pinnacle (along with Johannes Brahms).